The Equator Symposium is one of the main programs of Yogyakarta Biennale Foundation. The symposium is international in scale, involving specialists and practitioners from various nations which can be included in the breadth and scope of the equatorial line. Within the framework of an expert and knowledgeable discourse, the Equator Symposium will be cross-disciplinary, although its focus of attention is contemporary art. In this way the practice and discourse of contemporary art requires an open space, inclusive and ready to accept various critical studies that are relevant and sourced from a variety of disciplines and fields of expertise. The Equator Symposium will also function as an effort to develop networks amongst individuals and institutions who can activate the role of experts and practitioners of Indonesian contemporary art at an international scale. For further info, please click here.
This year, the symposium will be held at Prodi Ilmu Religi dan Budaya, Universitas Sanata Dharma, on Saturday-Sunday, October 29-30, 2016, from 09.00 to 17.00 WIB.
Deadline for submission: October 25, 2016. Download ES 2016 Registration form here.
Download ES 2016 Fellowship Registration form here. (For Universitas Sanata Dharma students only)
Rules and Conditions
- Registration fees:
- Students (Indonesian citizens): IDR 75,000.- (attach Student ID card copy)
- General Public: Rp 150,000.-
- Pay the registration to:
Account No. 0373030772
Acc. name: Yayasan Biennale Yogyakarta
Swift code CENA IDJA
2. Lunch and coffee break
3. Biennale Jogja Catalogue package
- Registration process for participants in ES 2016.
- Complete the participant registration form for ES 2016.
- Send the registration form, proof of payment and a copy of student ID card (for students), to reach[at]equatorsymposium[dot]org or shakka[dot]anne[at]gmail[dot]com
- Contact person: Anne Shakka Aryani (+6285643818769)
Yogyakarta Biennale Foundation invites young academicians from various backgrounds (be it science, technology, social sciences, art and cultural studies, etc) to submit their paper proposals to the Equator Symposium 2016 (or ES 2016). Selected essay proposals will be given a chance to finalize their essay and prepare it to be presented in ES 2016's upcoming forum.
Essay proposal submission was closed on September 13, 2016.
For selected essays on the Open Call for Equator Symposium 2016, please click here.
The One and The Many: Ethic and Aesthetic Practices in Our 21st Century Democracy
ES 2014 tries to reveal the ecosystem of the association of the many (artist groups, societal hobby-based groups, authority associations, etc) in the order place of their lives (city, village, country, as well as between all of these). The encounters, either physical or virtual, and how those encounters are then disseminated to many more people is our first step in the effort to uncover the ecosystem of these groups.
- November 17th & 18th, 2014
- Gedung Lengkung (5th floor), Sekolah Pascasarjana Universitas Gajah Mada
- Amphitheater, Taman Budaya Yogyakarta
About Yayasan Biennale Yogyakarta (Yogyakarta Biennale Foundation)
Visual arts are one of the sectors of cultural creativity which is growing rapidly in Yogyakarta, stands in a central position and is very important in the life of Indonesian arts. Yogyakarta has played a very dominant role in the history of Indonesian visual art. This region is home to the most influential art academies, the residences and studios of the country’s leading artists and host to a never-ending stream of arts events.
Established on August 23, 2010 is to, Yayasan Biennale Yogyakarta's missions are:
- To initiate and facilitate efforts to achieve a strategic concept of urban planning based on art and culture and to improve the blueprint for cultural city of the future as a space for fair and democratic living.
- To develop and manage of our cultural resources in an effort to build and optimize the potential of the people creating art and cultural heritage, and to utilize cultural assets which exist in the Special Region of Yogyakarta.