ES 2016: Open Call for Papers
Yogyakarta Biennale Foundation invites young academicians from various backgrounds (be it science, technology, social sciences, art and cultural studies, etc) to submit their paper proposals to the Equator Symposium 2016 (or ES 2016). Selected essay proposals will be given a chance to finalize their essay and prepare it to be presented in ES 2016's upcoming forum.
Alternative Visions from the Third World
ES 2016 tries to unravel alternative ecologies that are initiated by the one and the many from various places along the equator. As a framework for essay proposals coming from as many disciplines as possible, we state the background of our thoughts that generated these thinking along with several keywords of topics.
The term "third world" refers to the first time it was used during Bandung Conference 1955; meaning that the term points to any countries other than European or American. We require a clear conscience in using (or abusing) the term. As for "ecology", we are referring to its simple denotation which is any kind of science that deals with the relations of organisms to one another and to their physical surroundings. Therefore, young academicians from any kind of discipline are asked to analyze alternative offers, thoughts and practices surrounding them that envision a better life in this world.
We believe that this alternative actions thrives within spaces and socio-political times with democratic atmosphere that enables chances for each and everyone to have the rights and obligations upon their living space. We hope that these studies can articulate current social dynamics of being in many different living spaces and, at the same time, create an open and critical discourse upon it.
- Updated means and ways of performing democracy
- Environmental empowerment
- Urban/rural development
- Social tension, crisis and negotiations between people
- Rethinking sustainability
How To Submit The Essay Proposal
The call for submission was closed in September 13, 2016.
- The submission is open for alumnus of any bachelor studies, be it science, technology, social sciences, art and cultural studies, etc.
- Download, fill in our application form along with your essay proposal (maximum 500 words)
- Send it to us with your previous essays (minimum 2) through reach(at)equatorsymposium(dot)org
- Essay proposal submission deadline is September 13, 2016
- Selected essay proposals will be announced in September 24, 2016
- Forms here Click to download
- Example form or how to fill in the form Click to download
Selected Proposals to be Presented in the Equator Symposium 2016
- Gesyada Siregar Pembacaan 'Tiga-Non' Nashar dengan metode patrap triloka
- Malcom Smith Obat Kuat: Sexual modernities through imageries in yogyakarta, 1899 – 2015
- China De Vera Close reading of selected titles of children’s stories that focused on environmental issues
- Jajang Supriyadi Memeriksa kembali praktik seni rupa kontemporer dalam bingkai pertukaran dan interaksi transkultural
- Adhisuryo Menggambar peta jaringan ego dari arsip foto Dr. Melani Setiawan
- Wayne Lim A political grey space: Decolonizing after dewesternization
- Adrian Jonathan The gentrification of cinema
- Tyson Tirta The Early 19th Century British Imperialism in Southeast Asia: A Social Connection, Discussion, and Other Aspects of Sustainability Among the Third World Countries
- Arham Rahman Menimbang posisi jejaring sosial sebagai medium artistik dan ‘pasar’ baru
Sorted by time of application received.
If you are interested in participating in the upcoming Equator Symposium not as speakers, please keep yourselves updated through this website!